Re: Spitfire Swing Spring - safety during disassembly

To: List Spit <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Swing Spring - safety during disassembly
From: Reed Mideke <rfm@collectivecomputing.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:48:31 -0700
M D "Doc" Nugent wrote:
> When taking a swing spring off the car and taking it
> apart, are there safety issues similar to those when
> removing the front coil springs?
>
> How much energy is still in the leaf spring when
> you've jacked up the backend until the axles rest on
> the frame?

The normal practice is to support the suspended parts (hub,
drum, halfshaft etc.) of the side you are unbolting with a
jack or such, so that the spring is not under load. This is
done because it makes removing the bolts much easier, not
because it is a safety concern.

If you are talking about disassembling the spring itself,
there isn't much tension there either, as far as I remember.
--
Email:    rfm(at)collectivecomputing.com or rfm(at)portalofevil.com