Spring Compressor

To: "Spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spring Compressor
From: "Kirk Crawford" <kirkbcrawford@kirkanddonna.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 17:22:32 -0700
A friend of mine recently bought a 1978 Spitfire.  I looked over it this
weekend with him since he isn't that much of a car guy and this is his first
spitfire.  My spit is a 1968 Mk 3, so his is a bit different.  One of the
things I noticed is he seems to have some sort of spring compressor on the
front coil springs.  They are little clamps about in the middle of the spring
that are compressing the spring, making the ride lower.  My question is, is
this factory, or did the DPO do this?  What is the reason for it?

So far the main things we are fixing are the oil pressure sending unit is the
wrong one for the car, and probably not working, the steering rag joint has
lots of play, and his brake light switch is broken.

Any special areas on this year spit that I should look for considering I'm
mostly familiar with the round-tail spits?

Can I remove/disable any of the smog equipment and still pass CA smog?

-Kirk