RE: Toyota gearbox in GT6

To: "'Dave Fain'" <kc3565l@sprintmail.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Toyota gearbox in GT6
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@COX.NET>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 17:43:20 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: spitfires-owner@autox.team.net
[mailto:spitfires-owner@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Dave Fain
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 5:13 PM
To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Toyota gearbox in GT6

Has anybody successfully installed a Toyota gearbox in a GT6?  Herman
Van Den Aker says it won't fit.  I am guessing that he means that it
won't fit without some modifications to the frame and tunnel.
Dave

Dave,
I'd say that if you are determined enough you can make anything fit.  If
I can get a Honda S2000 6-Speed in to my Spit, it should be possible to
get the Toyota into a GT6.

The big problem I had is the frame rails were too close together to
accommodate the tranny.  This was further complicated by the fact that I
set the whole assembly way back in the frame to clear the front cross
member and to balance the car well.

To get it to fit without totally destroying the frame rails, I cut a
triangular piece out of each side and welded in a flat plate to close
the gap and stiffen the frame.

The other problem is that the tunnel no longer fits so I had to
fabricate one from aluminum to cover all the exposed parts.  My feeling
is that the Toyota would be much easier to fit.  But only by taking some
precise measurement will you know for sure.  With a GT6 engine sitting
further forward, it should be a more doable project.

Cheers,
Joe