Re: Alternator Testing

To: "Dave Chu" <dave@ece.concordia.ca>, <Alan.McEachran@anixter.com>,
Subject: Re: Alternator Testing
From: <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 01:04:59 -0400
generic 'condition' voltages for a lead acid
car battery
volts          specific gravity    capacity
12.6-12.8V    1.265    100%
12.4-12.6V    1.225    75-100%
12.2-12.4V    1.190    50-75%
12.0-12.2V    1.155    25-50%
11.7-12.0V    1.120    0%-25%

The specific gravity is of the electrolyte in the battery.
This is directly measurable with one of those
'turkey baster' style 'floater' specific gravity battery testers.

The above numbers (volts) are after letting the battery
settle for approx one hour after a full charger cycle.

Now how do you tell if you have a properly and fully
completed charge cycle? Certainly NOT with the
typical sub-$50 battery charger. Those will usually shut off
when a the battery reaches a certain voltage. The problem is
older (used) batteries will have a higher voltage, while the
s.p. is still lower than it should be. This is a result
of the electrolyte attaching itself to the plates, thus lowering
the current (ie: rate) delivery.  You need a good electronic
auto-charger. Even better is a 'pulser' type charger designed
to desuficate older batteries.

Do an internet search.    :-).

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com