RE: Clutch bleed...

To: "'David Mayer'" <celiracer81@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Clutch bleed...
From: "Bill Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 09:45:22 +0100

Hi Dave,
The Spitfire clutch is usually very easy to bleed.
I have recently found problems with some brands of replacement clutches for
our cars, in particular those made by Delphi. While nominally replacements
for the original equipment and working over the same release distance,
differences in construction mean there is excessive free play before the
release bearing contacts the fingers of the cover. This means that you only
have maybe 3/4 of the required slave cylinder bore available, ie, the piston
reaches the end of the bore before the clutch is fully released. The
symptoms are exactly as you describe.
Solution? Ideally a different clutch, but other methods include widening the
pinch-bolt slot in the slave cylinder so that it can be moved forwards
slightly, or lengthening the rod which connects the release arm to the
piston.
Of course your problem may be unrelated, but I thought it worth mentioning
this as it is becoming quite a problem here in the UK,
Cheers,
Bill.

Rarebits4classics

PO Box 1232