Electric fan question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Electric fan question
From: drsnydr@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 17:29:44 +0000
My '76 fed. model spit has an electric fan w/thermostat installed in front of
the radiator (pushing) and the stock mechanical fan has been removed.  I never
thought twice about that setup as I've had no overheating problems (but this is
the first Florida summer I've had the car).  A mechanic friend, whose opinion I
generally trust, told me that I should replace the mechanical fan (keeping the
electric) or mount another electric behind the radiator on the other
side(pulling through the radiator in the space where the other one is not
pushing air).  He's not trying to make any money, because he told me just to do
it myself (they are easy to install).  Seems like it would be especially easy
as I could just wire the 2d one into the first.  But is a second fan necessary
or worth the $75ish in an abundance of caution?