RE: A few unrelated Triumph Questions

To: "'WILSON,Todd'" <todd.wilson@dewr.gov.au>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: A few unrelated Triumph Questions
From: Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:15:29 +0200
Hi Todd

Herewith some rough estimates based upon my own Spitfire6 project (GT6 Mk1
with Spitfire Mk2 body).

Weight Spitfire Mk2 = approximately 710 Kg. Weight GT6 Mk1 = approximately
865 Kg. Weight Spitfire6 = approximately 803.90 Kg. Weight difference
between a Spitfire Mk2 and a Spitfire6 = approximately 93.90 Kg (which
should represent the weight gain to the front of the Spitfire if you add a
GT6 engine to it).

Weight distribution Spitfire Mk2 = approximately 55% (390.50 Kg) front and
45% (319.50 Kg) rear. Weight distribution GT6 Mk1 = approximately 56%
(484.40 Kg) front and 44% (380.60 Kg) rear. Weight distribution Spitfire6 =
approximately 60.26% (484.40 Kg) front and 39.74% (319.50 Kg) rear.

Ideal weight distribution is, AFAIK, 50% front and 50% rear which means that
a Spitfire6 will have approximately 20.52% (or 164.90 Kg) too much weight in
the front. This can be reduced by replacing the steel bonnet(hood) and front
valence with fibreglass items. The engine (and gearbox) can also be pushed
back approximately 9 inches by reversing the shock towers. (Aluminium
radiator, aluminium front wheel hubs etc. will also reduce weight, but are
all unfortunately terribly expensive).

HTH. I'm not mathematically inclined, but I'm sure others will correct me
where I'm wrong.

Chris de Wet.
PO Box 472, Ifafi, 0260, South Africa.
" Triumphs are meant to be driven .... keep them on the road "