Re: Clutch-ing at Straws

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch-ing at Straws
From: Ken Strayhorn <ken@dukecomm.duke.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 13:42:06 -0500
On Tuesday, February 3, 2004, at 12:22 PM, James Carruthers wrote:

Clutch dies early death:

> So why would a clutch go so quickly? Something else must be bad to make
> the thing break...

This happened to me, may not apply to you but, well, it's a data point:

I had the adjustable-style shaft on the master cylinder of the clutch
system. When
I replaced the clutch, I didn't realize that this had to be adjusted.
The shaft was
set very long by the dreaded P.O. so when I depressed the clutch pedal
all the
way, the fork that holds the throwout bearing was actually skimming
along the
tops of the springs on the clutch plate. It went to pieces in a fine
fashion on
a highway exit ramp.

Ken Strayhorn
'72 Spitfire IV