Seatbelts & Early Spitfires

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Seatbelts & Early Spitfires
From: sinclair@degenkolb.com
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 16:50:46 -0700
A couple of questions for the wisdom of the list.

I had previously thought that I had just purchased a MK2 Spitfire because
it had the push-button door handles.  However, checking the VIN number
FC38247L I see that it falls into the MK1 range.  Does anyone know the
changeover point for the door handles?  Was this within the MK1 range or do
I have non-original doors?

My present Spitfire (in US) has no seatbelts, not even lap belts.  The
interior, at least the carpet, appears fairly original.  My previous MK1,
may it's soul RIP, had lap belts.  On a US spec cars were seatbelts
required, or were they an option, or were mine added later?

If I go digging under the carpet in my present MK1 can I reasonably expect
to find the threaded mounts for the seatbelts or will I have to come up
with some new mounting system?

I have some inertial belts from a later Spitfire I intend to install.  Does
anyone have the name of the company the will refurbish these for me?
I was able to successfully install these in my old MK1 (later VIN) so the
mounts were present at least from FC 43696L onward.  I used heavy fender
washers at the wheel well - I think this approximates the anchorage on the
later cars - has anyone done anything similar.car.

It seems to have the 1147cc engine so that may at least be original.
Certainly has noticeably less power than the 1300 although does rev a
little more freely.

Thanks in advance.

Mark Sinclair
60 something MK?