Re: master cylinder rebuild

To: "Gary Leroux" <geevee@shaw.ca>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: master cylinder rebuild
From: "Bob Boehmer" <bob.boehmer@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 08:08:02 -0400
If you get the Lucas rebuild kit it comes with pretty good directions (this
goes for the brake and clutch).

After my 76 1500 sat for close to 10 years, my pistons were frozen in the
calipers _and_ the master cylinder needed a rebuild. Once I got the pistons
out of the calipers I found a bit of light pitting on the pistons - some
crocus cloth took care of that. I kept an eye on the calipers (still do in
fact) for leakage and haven't seen any signs in over a year. The wheel
cylinders were shot also so I replaced those.

My recommendation after the car has sat that long would be to rebuild both
the master cylinder and calipers, replace the rear wheel cylinders (they're
only $20 or less per side -- for that price I'd rather replace than
rebuild), flush the lines, and refill it (and bleed). As long as the bore of
the MC isn't scored the rebuild kit should be all you need.

I had problems with the clutch too. Ended up replacing both the master and
slave units (master was scored). The up side is that the clutch MC is much
less expensive than the brake MC. If your clutch MC isn't scored I'd go with
the rebuild kit for it. The slave to me is the same as the wheel
cylinders -- for the price I'd rather just replace it than rebuild it.

I think that you're smart to do it all now rather than wait. In my
experience hydraulic fluid tends to do weird things when it sits.

Good luck,
Bob

> Anyone out there have any luck or tips on how to install a kit in a 1970
spit master cylinder?  The kit is only about 40 bucks and a new master is
about $300.00!  I am not surprised the master failed as it seems I had to
really stand on the brake pedal to make it work, pads and shoes have been
replaced........does this sound normal?  I have just got this project up and
running it has been sitting for at least three years so I guess the clutch
master and slave will be the next to go, maybe I should put kits in all of
them rather than wait for them to fail.  Any ideas or comments will be
greatly appreciated as I have no experience with rebuilding these units.