Flooding SU carb

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Flooding SU carb
From: Alan Lemen <ralemen@cableone.net>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 17:25:06 -0600
I am having problems with my front SU HS4 carb.  Rear one is OK.

It only seems to happen when I stop the engine. Plugs are perfect
colour, carbs are in sync.
I did check and even replace the float valve and the fuel level in the
float bowl is fine ( identical to the rear one), even disconnected the
overflow pipe while it was running and it did not overflow. So stopped
engine ( was double checking the sync so it was running for a short
while at temp) and after a minute or so the fuel comes out the jet -
easy to see with the filers off. Since top of jet is higher than the
float bowl level surely it's pressure but where from and why only the
front. Nothing appears blocked.

Ideas anyone?

Alan

ps. No excessive fuel consumption as I just got 33 mpg on fill up.