Re: Cylinder Heads - differences?

To: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Cylinder Heads - differences?
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 15:38:22 -0700
Kevin Rhodes wrote:

> OK, re-reading Joe Curry's post I see that I mis-read it so my post is
> misleading. However, my question is valid still. Early Triumph exhaust
> manifolds (not cylinder head) most assuredly have a combined center exhaust
> opening for cylinders 2+3 - I can post a picture of mine if you like. There
> is no center divider. It is from a MKII, and has Stanpart with the part
> number cast right into it. So did Triumph ever make one with a divider? I'm
> thinking no, as someone with a 79 (complete with cat + EGR, which mine does
> not have fittings for) wrote to say that his is the same as mine as to the
> openings.
>
> Kevin Rhodes

No, the exhaust ports on the head are all separate.  I just don't know
if the spacing is the same as on later Heads and therefore would allow
the exhaust headers to be interchangeable.  If I were required to guess,
I'd guess NO!

Looking at a photo in the John Thomason book, the center exhaust ports
are definitely separated (page 14, photo 1.42)

Joe