Re: got the oil plug out now the real issue!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: got the oil plug out now the real issue!
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 13:42:51 -0400
>If you have an engine with somewhat worn bearings, but no other real
>problems,
>it is really worth putting in new bearing shells without getting the
>crank reground?  Or will the no-longer-smooth crank just beat up the
>new bearings?
>
>I have been thinking about doing it, but I am not certain how long they
>will last...
>
>Doug Braun
>'72 Spit

I've heard opinions both ways.  I can only tell you how it worked out for
me.  I'd
say that my bearings were fairly worn with some of them almost a pure copper
color.
In addition, my oil pressure was very low.   I couldn't feel any scoring on
the crank,
although I realize that my finger is hardly a precision instrument.

I put a full set of bearings in about a year ago, or about 12-15,000 miles
ago.
The results have been very satisfactory, with the oil pressure still within
specs.
Even if they failed today (and there is no sign of that happening -
hopefully
I didn't just tempt fate), an additional 15,000 miles for $50 would be quite
the bargain.  Frankly for me, the choice was replace the bearings only or do
nothing -
I don't have the finances or the time for a compete engine rebuild on my
daily
driver.

It seems to me, based on a VERY limited sample size, that spitfire engines
are VERY
durable in the rings/bore area, but the bearings and thrust washers are a
weaker
area, especially the rod bearings on the 1500's.  I'll bet you could get
some really
amazingly high mileages out of a motor if you change the oil regularly and
replace
the bearings and thrust washers every 75,000 miles or so...

YMMV

Best!

Greg Rowe