Speedo-schmeedo-%&@!

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speedo-schmeedo-%&@!
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 16:57:39 -0700
Listers, got a question...  About two weeks ago, I purchased an NOS speedo on
eBay that was stated to be for a 1970 Mk3.  It arrived, but I was disappointed
to see that it has the clip on cable connector, not the threaded type.  If any
of you have fit a new cable through the heater box on an early Spitfire,
you'll understand why I was loathe to simply swap out the cable.  Besides, the
speedo drive on my O/D is threaded.  The seller has offered a refund, but that
was a week ago and I'm still waiting...

A day or two later, the first speedo arrived, a different seller posted an NOS
Mk3 speedometer for sale.  I e-mailed him and specifically asked if the
fitting was clip on or threaded, and he stated "threaded, the clip on type
wasn't used until 1975".  The speedo arrived today, and sho 'nuff, it has the
clip on connector!!  Seller #2 seems like a great guy, and being as how I
hadn't yet paid him, I'm going to ship back the gauge tomorrow.

My question is, when in the heck did Triumph switch to the cable clip on
speedo connectors?  Could these actually BE 1970 Mk3 gauges?  I can't find the
answer in my Mk3 Spare Parts manual.  Thanks.

Take care,

Jeff in San Diego

1968 Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
Visit the Totally Triumph Network
"Friendly and focused discussion of all things Triumph!"
www.TotallyTriumph.net