Tranny Input (first motion) Shaft and Bell Housing Question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Tranny Input (first motion) Shaft and Bell Housing Question
From: "Mike Chmura" <m.chmura@umassp.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 10:49:16 -0400
Good Morning!

As the saga continues with my O/D tranny installation on my 78 Spit, I
did get the old tranny out and have separated the bell housing from the
tranny casing.  So far so good.  I've check the shop manuals I have and
I can't seem to get a clear understanding of what I'm seeing on my
garage floor.  So I have a couple of questions for the experts.

- How do you separate the dowel (that's what my Vicky Brit Catalog calls
it) from the bell housing?  Or should you?  It looks like one should
remove it by tapping from inside the bell housing so that it pops out
the back, but that's a guess on my part.  I've tried tapping and it's
not budging (yet).

- What's behind the dowel is different on the tranny I just took out
compared with the O/D I'm trying to put in.  The one that came out
doesn't appear to have a rubber oil seal, but the new one does.  The oil
seal's shape is flat on one side and kind of a 'C' shape on the other
side.  Which side faces the tranny?  The flat side or the concave 'C'
side?

- In addition the circlip on the old tranny is just a round clip with
the two eyes on top.  The O/D tranny has a circlip but it's round with
little tangent raised flat spots. This is hard to describe.

- Did Triumph make different dowel's, some with rubber oil seals and
some without?

Any light someone could shed on this would be greatly appreciated.  I
would just like to attach the bell housing to the O/D correctly and not
have to remove the whole thing again because I screwed up.

As always, thx in advance for all your advice and help.
-mike chmura

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
mchmura.vcf]