Re: Twin DCOE-40 Setup available

To: "Chad M. Larsen" <spit717@cml-industries.ath.cx>
Subject: Re: Twin DCOE-40 Setup available
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:27:24 -0700
"Chad M. Larsen" wrote:

> Hey Joe,
>
> I was thinking that this would be a good modification for my 1500, but in
> passing conversation with the local LBC mechanic, I mentioned that I had hoped
> to change my DGAV out for a Dual DCOE setup and he instantly badgered that
>idea
> saying that it put out too much gas for my little engine to handle, and
>without
> other modifications like a high lift cam, I would not see any improvements
>over
> my current setup.  I thought this sounded a little silly being that a carbs
> mixture is determined by how well you tuned it, but though I would ask your
> opinion on this one.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Feel free to fwd your response to the group if you think this is information
> everyone can benifit from.
>
> Thanks again

Chad,
While I agree that you will not get the full benefit of this setup
without doing some additional performance mods (cam, head, etc) the
Weber carbs will be tunable for whatever setup you have.  Metering the
fuel mixture for the maximum benefit of what the engine can handle is
the important factor.  The Webers are very tunable and have a myriad of
available jets from which to choose so you can indeed use them on many
different types of engines and stages of preparation.

By the way, on the 8-port Spitfire heads (which this works on) I would
recommend the twin DCOE 40's much more than a single DCOE45 that is
available from many sources.  This is due to the port differences in the
DCOE carb and the head itself.  With a single carb, the outside two
cylinders will be fed through much longer ports than the inside two.
This leads to a great difference in the fuel being delivered across the
4 cylinders.   The inside two will either be running rich compared to
the outside two or the outside two will be running lead compared to the
inner two.  Neither of these scenarios is good because it leads to
either cylinders being washed down from too much fuel or valves burning
from a too lean mixture.

Regards,
Joe