Auto Brake Adjusters?

To: spit <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Auto Brake Adjusters?
From: Daniel Parrott <parrotthead01@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 18:38:20 -0400
I was stripping down a spare set of half-axels today and found something
curious.  Apparently, Triumph included some automatic brake adjusters in
their rear drums.  I found a different sort of wheel cylinder, one with a
removable wheel with teeth.  The teeth apparently were moved by an extension
of the parking brake lever, rotating a wheel, which extended one side of the
brake cylinder, moving the break shoes outward.  It appears that every time
the parking brake was enacted, the teeth were moved, and the brakes were
automatically adjusted.  The panel on the lower area of the Brake backing
plat has two very sturdy rivets holding a closing plate.  I've looked and
several catalogs, and can't find anything like it.  All I know is that the
half axels came from a late 1500 Spit.

With my Spit being a 1980 model, mine has the standard lower adjuster.  Just
when this feature appear (and disappear)?  Is it a good feature to maintain?
I could rebuild with the new assembly with little problems.

Anybody else hear of this feature?  Should I keep it with the rebuilt
half-axels?  (I would refer to a picture, but my wife left with the digital
camera) ;-(

Dan Parrott
Savannah, Ga
1980 Spitfire "PJ"