FS: 68 Mk III

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: FS: 68 Mk III
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 11:05:08 -0700
Well folks, it seems all of us come to this point sooner or later in our
lives.  Due to financial situations where the job I have hasn't given me
more than 5 hours in three weeks, the rent is due as well as car
payments.  I need to move to a small apartment that I can afford and that
means I need to give up my baby, Giles.

Giles is a 1968 Mk III.  He's been good to me and I am in the process of a
body off restoration.  The chassis is done and complete.  Nice shiny paint,
everything works, it's clean, pretty and is ready to go.  The body tub has
one spot of rust on the right/passenger side in one rocker panel about
3"x3".  I was planning on welding in a patch for this as it would be an
easy job to do.  That's all the rust there is.  It's a very clean car
otherwise.

It needs an interior, but what project car doesn't.

It needs paint.  The bonnet is restored as well as a pair of doors.  Every
ding taken out, scratches removed and the whole thing is primered.  The
only thing left to do was the tub itself.  A few weekends on that and you'd
have that ready as well.  Get the parts painted, assemble, and drive
away!  I don't have the time or money now to do it. :/

But since I have to move into a much smaller area, this project car comes
with a ton of extra goodies.  I could try to sell them all off on Ebay, but
again, I don't have time to piecemeal auctions.  I need cash far sooner.

You get:

1968 Mk III (project-75% done)
2 spare chassis- one is a 66 Mk II good for parts only, and the other is a
rolling chassis only- but it has a good bonnet, also a Mk III.
Engines: Besides the running one in the Mk III, there's another 1147 with a
hole in a piston and a new engine that needs to be assembled.  It's all
fresh from a machine shop and has rods, pistons, bearings, rings, all the
goodies.  No rebuilt cylinder head, but I've got extra heads too.  The
engine alone is worth a bit of cash.

Doors- I think there are six.  I was competing with Jeff McNeal to see who
had more for a while, I think.  :)   Mostly Mk II, III, but there is a pair
of later ones, I think.

Bonnets- one for the 66 (dinged up in a headlight bucket) and the spare 68
(typical nose dings, but otherwise great!)

Tops: Two convertable top frames, plus a fibreglass hardtop.

Windscreens: One extra, but it's iffy.  Two if you count the 66's extra
pulled from the car.

Tire/Rims: I got a set of four aftermarket wheels that are going to look
killer on the car.  Again, no more for me. :/

All parts and bolts were tagged and bagged.  I wanted to know where
everything went so I bagged every component small enough to fit in one
along with its associated bolts.  This is no kit with unknown parts.

I'll even throw in the modified engine stands I built to hold the body tub
off the ground for working on.  I won't need them.  They have the custom
brackets I built for just that purpose.

There's just too much to list, really.  I don't want to sell, but reality
says otherwise.  I do plan on getting another Spit later when I have space
and money for it though.  You can't get rid of this oil I've got for blood!

Oh, check out the project car itself at:

http://www.ponypics.com/spitfire

Price?  I'm hoping for $1500.  I bought her for $1000 and have spent a good
$1K more in parts and pieces for her, along with tools.

This car is only available for local pickup in Federal Way, WA.  So if
you're in the Puget Sound area, this could be yours!

-Vegaman Dan