Delco Alternator, Wow!

To: Spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Delco Alternator, Wow!
From: Daniel Parrott <parrotthead01@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 06:16:56 -0400
WOW, is all I can say about the new Delco Alternator.  I followed Paul
Teglerizers' (http://www.teglerizer.com/alternator/index.html) instructions
for the swapping of the rebuilt Lucas alternator for a new Delco unit.
Everything worked as instructed, except for the following:

                The top outside of the J-Bracket had to be rounded in order to
clear the
thermostat housing
                I added a thick washer between the same J-Bracket and the
engine block to
better align the Bracket to the alternator pully.

Now, the lights don't dim when I idle and the brightness of the LED display
of my radio doesn't pulse in phase with the music.  The turn signals operate
smartly and brightly (used to be flash.......flash......flash, now its'
FLASH! .FLASH!..FLASH!.)  You get the idea.

I'm also replacing the temp gauge with the Smith dual oil/temp gauge (
http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/75w_dualgauge.htm ).  Just one word
of caution.  I swapped the new chrome bezel for the stock chrome and black
from the original.  The new bezel only has one tab that holds it to the
gauge, and the original ring has three.  Trying to twist the stock bezel
onto the new gauge, I started twisting the face of the gauge, also pushing
onto the two brass pins that support the needles, distorting them.  I had to
remove the gauge's face and realign the brass pins.  My suggestion is to use
those same pliers to open the tabs on the back of the bezel ring, closing
them to attach to the gauge, rather than trying to twist 'em on.

Thanks, Paul!

1980 Spitfire "PJ"
Dan Parrott
Savannah, Ga