Where to mount aftermarket catalytic converter on '78 Spit

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Where to mount aftermarket catalytic converter on '78 Spit
From: "Aric Datesman" <adatesman@speakeasy.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:54:53 -0500
Hello all,

I need some help here.  I'm taking a road trip this weekend to go help a
friend get his '78 Spit on the road.  All it needs anymore is to have a
catalytic converter installed so it passes the emissions visual inspection
(if it matters to anyone, the car is in Boston).  Unfortunately, I don't
know much about the car or the cat he got to mount on it.  I do know that
the cat is one of those aftermarket cut a section of pipe out and splice it
in types.  Since the car has a tubular 4 into 1 exhaust header on it, the
original type header isn't an option.

So my question is, where to mount the cat?  Closer to the header or muffler
or in the middle?  Any particular place better in terms of heat transfer
into the passenger compartment or fire hazard?  Should we also fashion and
mount some sort of heat shield above it?  If so, any suggestions?  Any BTDT?

Thanks much.
-aric.