Re: Replacing D204 dist w/ D200

To: Ken Strayhorn <ken@dukecomm.duke.edu>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Replacing D204 dist w/ D200
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:10:30 -0500
The older distributor may have a proper vacuum advance instead of
the oddball "vacuum retard" that the '72 Spits have.  If so,
you should NOT try to connect it to the vacuum port on the Stromberg carb.
If you were to connect it, you would get max vacuum advance at idle, and none
when actually driving!

Just plug the port on the carb, and leave the distributor
unconnected.  Or better yet, get SUs, which will have a vacuum port
meant to drive a vacuum advance.

If the D-200 distributor has the "micrometer" manual adjustment knob, then
you can be certain that it has vacuum advance.  Also, the vacuum
advance diaphragm "pushes" instead of "pulls" the rotating plate inside the
distributor.  If you have either distoributor in your hands, it would be obvious
how the advance or retard works.