Re: coolant leak under manifold?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: coolant leak under manifold?
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 10:36:27 -0800
At 01:24 PM 3/8/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Warmed the car up for awhile this morning and noticed a leak under the
>manifold. It's anti-freeze that's dripping onto the catalytic convertor about
>every 30 seconds repeatedly? Any thoughts, not quite sure what's under there
>yet? TIA

If you have a cooling system pressure tester, you can pressurize the system
to whatever the recommended rating of the cap is for your car and look for
leaks that way.  I'm lucky enough to have such a tester (swapped for some
cylinder head work on a Vega), but otherwise it's going to be a case of
drying off the manifold with rags or towels, run the engine for a minute
and get down there with a mirror and look.  A spare rear view mirror from
that scrapped out chassis behind the house is always a handy diagnostic
tool. :)

-Vegaman Dan