Re: Tr6 intake manifold on Gt6

To: "mikeross" <mikeross@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Tr6 intake manifold on Gt6
From: "Steven W. Reilly" <luckyone@sentex.ca>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 04:30:08 -0500
Maurice,

I have tried TR6 manifolds upside down, but even with maximum hood
adjustment i was always just never able to fully close the bonnet without
resting the bonnet on the front CD175 carb.  As I recall, if you turn the
manifold upside down you would also have to design a new system in which
you secure the manifold properly to the block, as now the flanges are out
of place.  Even though the TR6 carbs were now angled down somewhat they
still did not fit.  If you are able to drop the motor a half inch or so it
may be possible; though you may be sitting the sump on the steering rack.

Also as I recall there is only one GT6 cylinder head/ TR6 manifold
combination that would work either side up and still line up the ports
properly.  That combination would be a later gt6 cylinder head (Mk2-MK3)
with a later TR6 manifold that has the 7/8" spacing (not sure of years).

The earlier TR6 manifold with 5/8" spacing between the ports will run and
will bolt on but it will not run well as the ports are mismatched as
evidenced through head gasket impressioning.

I have a friend who has said he had at one time created aluminum plates
which sandwiched inbetween the CD175 carbs and the stock 1.5"
manifold.  Apparently he says one of the top carb holes bolted right
through to the manifold and the rest were bolted to the aluminum spacer ,
and the aluminum spacer was bolted through the rest of the manifold
holes.  He said there was a performance increase, but I do not understand
how that would be if still using the stock manifold.

I have seen a few GT6's that have had an extra hood bubble put in the
bonnet in order to clear the front CD175 carb, this always works but it
detracts from the look of the car.  I will be looking at this option soon
as I would like to feed my stroked engine with the stock TR6 carbs (as
opposed to the CD150s I have been using).  I have heard somewhere that the
CD150s are sufficient for 2.5L, but I would rather run 175's regardless.

I cannot remember if I had the air cleaners on the TR6 carbs when I was
trying different combinations; if someone has tried this before can they
please respond with their experiences?

Hope that helps,
Steve
'70 GT6's