Spitfire paint prep

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire paint prep
From: "Spit_Driver" <Spit_Driver@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 12:28:12 -0600
All,

I need some help.  I have an '80 Spitfire that sat outside in the Texas sun
for several years prior to my acquisition.  I would like to repaint her this
spring.  What I need help with is resources on how to prep the car for
painting.  There is a few surface rust spots and a minor ding or two.  The
car is white and the paint is heavily oxidized.  Can some one recommend a
web site(s), book(s), magazine article(s), etc. that would give me good
basic instructions?

I plan on painting her with a fresh coat of white and then the scheme of the
British Flag.  I have a hard top (OEM) that I purchased from a guy that had
a yellow Spitfire.  I think it will need to go all the way down to metal due
to the very poor condition of the paint.

Thanks for the help,

spit_driver

Austin, Texas