Spit differential suggestions

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit differential suggestions
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 15:03:44 -0800 (PST)
I'm looking at getting an upgrade for the rear of the
car. The differential wine in my 3.89 diff is really
bugging me. (Do these things eventually explode at
highway speeds when they start making that whine?)
I've looked into the Quaife diffs, but the $950+ price
tag gives me a queezy "if I have to eat PB&J
sandwhiches for a month again I'm going to kill myself
- if my heart doesn't give out first" feeling.
I remember seeing a Miata differential modification
for the Spitfire, but I don't know who was doing it
and if they're still available. I'm looking at going
to a lower 4.11:1. Anyone have that info?
I have a used early Spitfire 4.11:1 sitting in
storage, but it's in unknown condition. I would rather
get this right the first time. Since I have OD, I
would rather get rid of the 3.89 and a locker or LSD
would be optimal. (4.11 would be as high as I would
want to go due to it being a street car.)
What other options do I have for a 4.11 that could
handle an engine upgrade (100+hp)?
TIA!!
-Terry