Re. ZS or Weber

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re. ZS or Weber
From: MKCASPIAN1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 22:18:07 EST
Hi fellow listers,
I have also been struggling with ZS carb, thinking about the Weber carb.  My
car is a 78Spitfire, 51,000 miles, runs rich, ldles high, warms up[ slowly,
etc., but this was only after 50,000 with the ZS.  I had trouble with the
water choke, had it rebuilt and the carb rebuilt, but it still runs kind of
rough.  I too wondered about the Weber for around $400, but I guess it still
uses the same water choke, so perhaps I would not be moving to anything
better.  I have also wondered about changing to manual coke.  I am definately
not need ing to be a purist, I just want ti to run rignt when my wife and
kids are driving around in it.  I drove it back and forth to work every day
last summer, without a bit of trouble.  Maybve it just hates the cold! I have
a Triumph expert who is going to look at the car, if only it would warm up
and the snow would melt.  I hear that the Weber IS hard to tune, and the ZS
should work fine since it has for 25 years already, just needs the magic
hands of a good tuner.  It's 12 degrees here tonight on Cape Cod, with about
10 inches of snow.  Will the warm weather ever arrive?
John Flynn
78 Triumph Spitfire