Re: Overdrive questions x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overdrive questions x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 13:21:03 -0500
The conversion is not especially hard, IF you find all the pieces you need.
Some of the minor bits are:

1: A metal cover piece that goes right behind the cardboard tunnel cover.
   (You need to trim away a few inches of the floorpan right behind the cover.)
   Maybe this is not an issue for a 1500...

2: The shift lever with switch.

3:  The support place for the rear tranny mounting, and the rubber mount piece.

4:  The relay (maybe not for the J-type overdrive).

You life would be much simpler if you can get everything from the same donor
car.
With the OD, the car is indeed much nicer on the freeways.  Mine does about
3000 RPM at 65 MPH, and that's with a 4.11 differential.

All said, if I had to commute 90 miles a day for a real job, I
would not want to wear out my Spit doing it, and I would find
a newer, safer, less polluting, more comfortable car,
and occasionally drive the Spit to work on nice summer days.
(And sometimes on a snow and salt-free winter day, to demonstrate
my dedication to LBCs.)

Doug Braun
'72 Spit