Re: Iron bellhousing - heavy or what?

To: "Larry Vaughan" <lvaughan@pldi.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Iron bellhousing - heavy or what?
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 16:59:34 -0500
Cast iron is about 3x heavier than aluminum, so the aluminum model
must be about 25% thinner than the cast iron ones.  I can see why
the old, thin aluminum bellhousings are considered a bit flimsy
for hopped-up Spit engines.

On the other hand, the iron bellhousing is the most over-designed
part of the car.  I bet that 95% of all Spits go to their grave
with a perfectly good one...

Doug Braun
'72 Spit