Re: DOT5 brake fluid

To: "George P." <ygpz4re@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: DOT5 brake fluid
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 08:12:44 -0700
"George P." wrote:

> I second the notion that DOT 5 fluid is excellent.  I've had it in my Spit
> since the late '80s - never needed to bleed or add fluid.  Still has a very
> firm pedal.
>
> My Dad, on the other hand, had a slightly different experience.  He put it
> in his 120 Jag during restoration, and somehow, what he believes to be
> silicon "vapors" from the fluid, got on painted surfaces and was just a bear
> to get off.  Consequently, he's stopped using it.  I haven't had this
> problem.

George,
It is not vapors but a silicon film as the stuff weeps out the relief
hole in the master cylinder.  The stuff gets all over everything and as
your dad says is almost impossible to completely remove.

That said, I am using it in my race car and will continue to do so.
When I redo the breaks in my Street Spit, I will also convert to Dot 5
there as well.  It may be messy but it sure beats the alternative to
repainting!

Joe