Re: Diff cleanout

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Diff cleanout
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 06:56:30 -0500
A gearcase doesn't sludge up the way an engine does.  The heat is less,
and there are no combustion byproducts.  So you don't get the gobs of
goo like you find in an engines crankcase or pan.  You will get a grey
film on everything though.  This stuff doesn't respond to mild solvents
well, and generally requires mechanical wiping and the use of a
halogenated solvent.  So you can't really clean it unless you
disassemble things, not that it will need cleaning.

If you really wish to flush it in some fashion, drain, refill, run for
a little bit, drain, refill again.

Not so much for you, but for the others who don't know about drilling a
drain plug.  When you drill, the chips are flung back, not forward.
Especially when the hole is still blind.  After the drilling has just
started to breech the cavity, slowing down the drill rotation and
coating it with grease keeps the chips from entering the chamber.  When
tapping the threads, you again coat it with grease.  For the final
cleanup, use a bent pipe cleaner to sweep the area inside the case.

>>> <ralemen@cableone.net> 01/23/03 06:02PM >>>
Any suggestions as to what I can "rinse" out a diff with to get any old
oil and crud out. I will be splitting it open to aid in cleaning out the
original oil, but not taking the carrier etc. apart. I plan to maybe add
a drain plug to the rear case  for the future oil changing.