Re: "Denatured Alcohol" and Flying Fantasies

To: "Geoff Heyland" <gheyland@odyssey.on.ca>
Subject: Re: "Denatured Alcohol" and Flying Fantasies
From: "Greg Schluge" <gschluge@cstone.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 09:56:38 -0500
I have not done the conversion to dot-5 on any of my projects.  Still using
dot-4.  I think that most of the trouble with breaking systems on spits is
because fluids are not changed on a regualr basis.  I believe dot 4
replacement is recommended every 2-4 years.  I have a 76 rolling restoratoin
that I just bled 2 pints of dot 4 through to flush it out and have been
driving it for 3 years now with no trouble.

Since dot 5 is sinicone based, it will not absorb any moisture at all.  I
think cleaning the system out with shop air would be suficient.  I would use
a can of dry air to evacuate the system after using shop air. (Air Horn
can).  You might be able to use the dry gas compound from an auto store.  I
think that stuff that you want is anhydrous alchol.  That is pure alchol
with no water in it.  Denatured alchol is ethyl alchol that has a compound
in it that will make you sick if you drink it.  It does not mean that it is
not mixed with water.  I think you can go to a drug store and ask for
anhydrous methyl alchol.