Stella Lives!

To: "Spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stella Lives!
From: "Chris & Kelly Sharp" <chrislsharp@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 12:32:40 -0800
After a few months down for engine work, the spit roared to life yesterday
evening.  Took about half an hour to get the carbs somewhere close to right,
still not quite happy with them.  The problem seems to be sticking jets.
While rebuilding the engine, I also overhauled the carbs (SU HS-2's) using a
rebuild kit.  The new jets supplied in the kit are made of aluminum whereas
the old ones were brass.  I noticed while reassembling them that the
aluminim jets didn't slide as smoothly as the brass ones, but attributed it
to the 38 years of use the brass jets had on them.  Now that they're mounted
on the car, they stick in the pulled down choke mode and have to be raised
by pressing them up from the bottom.  Any one else have this problem and if
so, how did you fix it?  I'm really tempted to go back to the brass jets but
don't have the seals for the fuel bowl to jet tubes, one of the reasons for
the overhaul in the first place.