Re: Thrust Washer/Rear Main Seal Replacement on 1296cc

To: Adam Rodnitzky <arodnitzky@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Thrust Washer/Rear Main Seal Replacement on 1296cc
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 14:15:07 -0400
Some tips:

1: Clean the engine and tranny (pressure washer?) first, so you get less filthy.

2: Remove both front seats, especially if they are in good shape.  You must
remove
the right seat, in any case.

2a: Remove the pad strip that runs across the bottom of the dash before removing
   the center console.

2b:  If your tunnel cover is junk, consider replacing it or patching it up (e.g
fiberglass/epoxy).
      Do NOT use polyester resin on the tunnel cover or any other fiberboard
parts on the car!
      Something in the fiberboard prevents the polyester from setting up.

3:  Remove the right glove box, or you might damage it.

4: Put a dropcloth, etc. over the carpet.

5:  Have somebody help you with the bellhousing bolts and lugging the tranny in
and out.

BTW, I think the thrust washer job has little to do with the transmission R+R,
and there
is no particular advantage to doing both at the same time.
You might want to measure your crankshaft endfloat to see if your current thrust
washers are OK.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit