Re: More on distributor wiring -

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: More on distributor wiring -
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 11:22:56 -0400
There was a factory update on the earlier distributors with the box
mounted on the distributor itself (called Lucas Opex?) whereby these
units were replaced with the later GM type (well hidden in the firewall
box).  This is from memory, so don't take it as gospel.

For whatever mysterious reason, Triumph re-engineered the heck out of
the GM ignition module system.  My 1980 had the drive resistor
installed.  As well as capacitors and diodes all over the place.  When I
replaced my HEI module, I disconnected everything, running the wiring
the way GM intended it, did not change the coil, and haven't had a
problem in the several years that have passed.

>>> "bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net" <bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net>
09/13/02 09:24AM >>>
For what its worth, according to the number on the side of the
distributor
(41697B)  I have a a Lucas EID distributor from a 77-80 Spitfire
still
the wiring colors don t match any of the diagrams that I have (mine
is
white/blue, white/black, and red/black terminating in a 3 pin Molex
connector) I'd still like to use it and if worse comes to worse (or
better?) I'll just stick a crane unit in there or adapt a GM ignition
module to work with it -  And the GM unit doesn't require a drive
resistor!