saggy rear

To: "spitfire maillist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: saggy rear
From: "Jack" <jkagy@bpsom.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 20:18:16 -0400
A couple of days ago, on my way to work, I drove across a little bump w/ my
'78 1500.  There was a 'clunk,' the rear of the body seemed to drop a little
and the car seemed to want to swerve L a couple of times.  I got to the edge
of the street, called AAA and had it flatbedded back home.
As I was waiting for the truck, I noticed that the rear wheels both seemed to
"lean in" at the top more than they had before.  They had been tilting in
some, which I was told was a worn out spring problem, but this was worse.
Interesting features: There was no problem winching the car onto or off the
flatbed, it rolled w/o noise or resistance from the running gear.  I was able
to drive it into the garage w/o anything happening; When I first pulled off
the st., I tried to pull on the parking brake handle and it wouldn't move.  It
now moves fine.
Tonight I crawled under it and couldn't see anything that looked obviously
broken.  (except for the R side parking brake cable, which is attached to the
drum only by its spring and apparently is broken off from whatever it's
supposed to be connected to inside the drum.  An issue for another day, I
don't see any likelihood that it is part of the current main problem.)
I took the plate off in the cockpit and it appears that the spring is properly
attached to the diff.
I don't have the arm strength necessary to move the suspension by hand.  The
wheels seem to be hanging properly w/ the rear up in the air...on jackstanz of
course.

JAK