Re: Vibration...

To: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Vibration...
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 08:37:16 +0100
Scott Roberts wrote:
Well, I ran the Herald about 5 more miles tonight, but noticed that at
about
45-50mph there was a bit of a vibration. I am wondering if it might be
the
driveshaft is out of balance. Any thoughts?

Hi, Scott - I know this may upset fellow Herald owners, but welcome to
the club! It sounds as though you have that quintessential Herald
feature known as "propshaft vibration." There are two basic solutions.
Drive the car faster and see if you can *drive through* the vibration
period. It may be its only present at the speed you mention. However,
for a permanent cure, I recommend you find a shop who can dynamically
balance the propellor shaft (main drive shaft) for you. What you
describe was a common problem on Herald and derivatives when new. All
shafts were balanced by the supplier and the balance weight took the
form of a small square of metal spot-welded to the shaft, somewhere
along its length - and the location is critical. Unfortunately, many
of the spotwelds didn't hold  and balance weights flew off. It can be
a tricky exercise to find the correct point of non-balance and the
problem plagued me on my Mk 2 GT6 when it was new. It was still
present to a lesser extent when re-balanced but was finally cured by
using the approved Standard-Triumph technique of fitting two worm
drive hoseclamps to 'assist' the effects of the primary balance
weight. The worm drive housing provides an 'out of balance' force and
the dynamic forces of the two spinning clamps tend to cancel one
another out. Consequently they should be fitted within 180 deg of one
another but finding the point of balance and the relationship between
the two clamps to support the balancing effect of the welded weight
can be a tedious business - but worth it when you eventually cure the
vibration.
Before you start ripping the transmission apart, are you sure your
rear wheels are properly balanced?

Jonmac
1950 Ferguson TED20 152318 - Grey/Grey
1970 Triumph 2.5PI MG4305DL(O) - Sienna/Tan
1974 Triumph 2000 ML2294DLO - Mallard/Black

IN THE SHADOW OF MY FATHER
http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/triumphbook