Re: '70 Mk.3 seats

To: <BrYarboro@aol.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: '70 Mk.3 seats
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 03:59:25 -0400
BrYarboro@aol.com asked:

> The '70 is a weird year,
> it seems to be a cross between a Mk. 3 and IV. It has the gauges in front
of
> the steering wheel, and the other controls are as on the MK.IV, except the
> dash is black vinyl, not wood.

That's what I have as well. Mine came with very non-original high back seats
that were not likely even from an LBC.

>  My question for all you experts out there in
> Triumphland is although I know the seats are high backs, are they the same
as
> the Mk. IV seats?

> I believe they are close but not quite the same. The upholstery (and
probably the foams) are clearly different. I obtained what I thought were
the correct high backs but when I took the first one apart to rebuild with
the new straps, foams and upholstery, I discovered the differences. Among
other things, the Mk3 uses straps on both the back and bottom for support.
These are of a somewhat precise length for appropriate support and distance
from rail to rail. The MkIV uses a diaphragm for the bottom support. The
necessary attachments etc. probably could me manufactured but you would
likely need the Mk3 frame to use as a template and if you have it, why not
just use it?

The TRF Spitfire Glovebox companion lists different part numbers for
material and straps (and ISTR for the foams also) for the Mk3 and MkIV.

>  The seats that were in his car appear to be MG Midget
> seats. I'll give him the seats from my dead '67 for now, but I'd like to
> eventually get the proper seats.
I have been searching for just the frames for quite some time now. I did
locate a passenger frame, but so far have not had any luck finding a
driver's seat frame (Anyone have one to spare???) I did find someone in NY
that claimed to have one that needed complete rebuilding (which I planned to
do anyway) and was willing to sell it for $150(US). That seemed a bit much
for a seat frame! HTH.

Cheers
Keith

    _       _
   | \     / |        Keith R. Stewart
   |  \   /  |        75 Camden Road
   |   \_/   |        London, Ontario
   | 62 | TR4|        N5X 2K2
   | 67 |TR4A|        Canada
   | 70 |Spit|        Home:    (519)660-1916
 __|    |Mk3 |__      E-Mail:  kstewart@wwdc.com
 \T \___|___/ H/      (and a 68 Triumph Trophy 250)
  \ R I U M P /