Re: Spitfire Overdrive transmission, ID

To: <KEschhofen@aol.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Overdrive transmission, ID
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 22:41:08 -0700
Hi Kevin,

I just bought one and have it sitting on my workbench, so I can help you with
your question.  The Mk3 (and MkIV) transmissions were both three-rail affairs,
though the MkIV is really a different gearbox with full synchro in all forward
gears, unlike the Mk3, which only had synchros in gears 2,3, and 4.  The
overdrive unit is clearly marked with a metal plate that identifies it as a
Laycock de Normanville D Type.  Later MkIV's switched from D-type overdrives
to the more reliable J type, which was also adopted for the 1500 series and
continued through the end of the Spitfire production run.  The MkIV
transmission with the D or especially J type O/D are considered to be one of
the nicest bolt on enhancements to Mk3's, since you not only gain overdrive,
but full synchro capabilities as well.  Hope this helps.

Take care,

Jeff McNeal (San Diego)

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
'68 LHD Spitfire Mk3 project
'70 GT6+ "Accidental" restoration project
http://www.TotallyTriumph.net/spitfire/spitfire.shtml
Join  the TOTALLY TRIUMPH NETWORK!
Forums, Photos, How-To's, Classifieds, Links & Triumph Merchandise
http://www.TotallyTriumph.net