Re: Brake Piston Insertion

To: Scott Deakin <scott@johud.demon.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: Brake Piston Insertion
From: Jan Hanchen Michelsen <janhm@start.no>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 12:33:45 +0200
Hi

This is how I did it (Vitesse). Maybe not the correct procedure, but it
works ...

Before you start, wash your hands and (no joke) check, even file your nails
a bit :-). Everything must be 100% clean and dry. I4ll do this in my living
room, telling my wife that the brakes must be good, for her security. That
works!

First, be sure that the seal grooves in the caliper and at the piston are
100% clean. The piston grooves are often damaged (by people using the wrong
tools when pushing back). If so, open the grooves carefully with a
screwdriver and smooth with emery paper. Clean it all!

Then try to fit the piston gently without any seals. If the piston fits ok,
install the inner seal, lubricated with brake fluid (or the very special
"brake grease"). Again, try to fit the piston. If it still is a good fit,
take out the piston and mount the outer seal (lubricate!).

Try placing the piston on top of the outer seal, pull the seal "collar" 1-2
cm up around the pistson with at small wooden hook (or another soft, smooth
round "tool"). Then gently push the piston into the caliper, by placing some
kind of tool over the piston and push carefully with both hands. If the
piston won4t move at all, recheck that the seal is a good fit in the outer
groove, repeat the procedsure. Then push again - be SURE that the piston
goes in straight.

Then, suddenly the piston should slide in, and with some care you should be
able to place the outer end of the front seal in the piston groove. This is
quite easy when the piston is in the lower position.

That4s it!

Good luck
Jan, Norway

Blue Mk1 Vitesse