Re: u joint noises

To: MKCASPIAN1@aol.com
Subject: Re: u joint noises
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 19:28:54 -0700
MKCASPIAN1@aol.com wrote:

> Hello Listers
> Here is what I have. - Perhaps you have some thoughts
> 1.  Had clicking noises from rear of 78 spitfire - 48,000 miles - total
> restoration.
> 2.  Car to reputable British sports car garage
> 3.  They suspected drive shaft ujoints - had CV driveshaft - replaced it with
> 2 u joint drive shaft - noise still there
> 4.  Differential disassembled and rebuilt - replaced a suspect bearing -
> noise still there
> 5.  Noise seems to have been coming from left rear - replaced left rear wheel
> bearings - noise still there
> 6.  Replaced left u joint - noise disappers for about 100 miles.
> 7.  Similar noise still there - goes away during accelaration - appears to be
> from the right side  - apperant when driving straight and coasting - goes
> away with left turn - louder with right turn - is it the right u joint now?
> John Flynn

John,
Considering all you had done, I would suspect that some of you bushings in the
suspension components are worn.  Check for play in the trunnions at the
bottom of your vertical links.  Also shake vigorously on the radius arms to see
if you anc find any play there.  If the sound is a clunk on
acceleration or deceleration and not constantly there (repetitive) that may
indeed be your problem.

Joe