Spitfire overdrive transmission

To: "Spitfires" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire overdrive transmission
From: "Greg Schluge" <gschluge@cstone.net>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 22:20:36 -0400
I recently purchased an overdrive transmission for my 79 spit.  It was a J
type in Ebay just a week ago.  It was obvious that the bell housing was not
included. But it was advertized as a working transmission reported from the
previous owner.  It was shipped to me with only two parts, the transmission
and the overdrive.  They were seperated and shipped in different boxes.  The
part that was missing, that I expected to get, was the remote and shift lever,
and the cover plate that goes over the shift mechanism.

I don't know if any of the standard shift levers will fit this overdrive
system.  I am not sure if it takes one of the top mounts with a housing with
the shift linkage under it and exposed, or if it takes something that bolts to
the overdrive and has a rod going from the shifter through the transmission
that is exposed.

My questions are:
1.  Does the overdrive transmission take something special, or
2.  Does it take the same shift mechanism as a single rail, (I think this is
the exposed rod and cover plate)
3.  Can one of the top mounted remotes ( I think from a three rail
transmission) workl with this transmission.

I have never seen an overdrive transmission all together and do not know
exactly what to look for.

Please suggest some sources I might find this missing part.  I planned to
spend some time this summer rebuilding it, but first I have to get a whole
transmission to make it worth while.