Re: Wheel colour - Spitfire 4 - postscript

To: "Herald List" <triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wheel colour - Spitfire 4 - postscript
From: "Suzie" <suzie_bear@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 20:33:43 +0100
Mike & I debated wheel colours:
> >Of course, it may be that the answer is that simple after all and that it
> >was the same shade as the bodies. I wonder if anyone will ever come up
with
> >the definitive answer.
>
> With all the experts that we have on these lists?   I'd say it was
> guaranteed!

I certainly hope so.

>From various replies I've had I've put together the answer that the Spitfire
wheels were painted in Spa White, (ref Andy Mace,
http://www.vtr.org/TR4A/TR4A-wheels.html) which was also used as a body
colour on early Spitfires and which has the PPG code 8335 (ref Joe Curry,
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1080/paintcodes.html). And
Mike's new Herald is sadly able to donate chips of white to be matched up to
get the correct colour.

>From another question I received, and John Thomason's Guide to Originality
I've also been researching the types of wheels confirming that from the
beginning Spitfires were fitted with wide slot wheels, these changing during
the production of the MkII to narrow slots and continuing with those through
till the end of the MkIIIs. John's book confirms the white paint used for
the Spitfire 4s and MkIIs but doesn't clarify what colour they should be on
the MkIIIs so can someone help me finish this off with an answer to that
one? I know I've seen MkIIIs with both white and silver wheels (and Baby
Blue's are silver so I'd like to know what colour they *should* be) so does
anyone know the answer to this?

Suzie
Spitfire MkI, II & III Secretary, TSSC
'68 MkIII - Baby Blue