Re: Rear suspension

To: Mike_Blischke@Countrywide.Com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear suspension
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 15:28:17 -0400
How can the rear of the car sag to one side while the front remains level?
If this were really the case, the frame would have to be badly twisted.

Possibly you really have two separate problems:

1:  The entire rear end is sagging.  This is common.  The only
real fix is to replace or re-arch the rear spring.

2: The car is leaning to one side.  The fix is to inspect the front suspension,
and possibly replace one or both springs.  Swapping the front spring/shock
assemblies might also cure it.  Note that the rear suspension mostly
supports the center of the car due to the pivoting action of the "swing spring".
Thus, a sideways lean is almost always caused by an imbalance of the front
suspension.  Make sure that neither front spring is banana-shaped,
and that the front shocks have not been rubbing against the insides
of the springs.

My advice to any new owner:  Get the Haynes book for the Spit.  Immediately.
Without it or an equally good book, you will be clueless and helpless.
Also contact Rimmer Bros. (www.rimmerbros.co.uk) and get their excellent
Spitfire parts catalog.  Even if you never order anything from them,
it's an excellent reference.  Also learn about the other places
that carry a good selection of Spit parts.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit