Layshaft problem

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Layshaft problem
From: "Mike Ross" <mikeross@prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 15:37:32 -0400
I took the damaged layshaft and another from a similar GT6 tranny that had
about 80k miles on it, but with no damage, to a manufacturing and heat
treating company in Dayton, Ohio.  They did a Rockwell test which in no way
damages the shaft, yet tells them the hardness.  I observed the measurements
and according to the engineer, the old original shaft had a Rockwell number of
62; the new damaged shaft had a number of 64.  This means that the new shaft
you sold me was in fact harder than the old one.

I then had them test one of the original and one of the damaged needle
bearings.  Both tested equally hard with numbers of 61/62 for the new and
62/63 for the old.

The engineer said that hardness of the components was NOT at fault.

I then had the diameter of the two layshafts and the needle bearings measured
to three decimal points.  They were the same.  However when I lined up the 43
of the original undamaged needle bearings I still had with 43 of the new
damaged ones, the line of old original needles was one needle longer.  I don't
understand this, but it appears that the components SpitBits sold me were NOT
inferior.

Nigel at SpitBits offered to replace the layshaft and needle bearings at no
charge, but I cannot accept.  It appears that I must have done something wrong
in the assembly, and take full responsibility for the damage.

I want to publicly thank Nigel for his help and offer and apologize for any
discredit I may have caused him.

Mike           http://pages.prodigy.net/mikeross/   updated 4/10/02
'63 Spritfire
'66 Spitfire