Re: Handbrake mystery

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Handbrake mystery
From: "Dean Dashwood" <deandashwood_list@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:47:53 +0100
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

It turned out that the handbrake cable was not attached to the brake
cylinder on the right hand side - the pin which holds the cable in place had
come away.  I could have sworn I'd checked this already!  But as soon as I
took the wheel off, it was obvious.  (The moral of the story is don't try to
work on your car when it's getting dark, and you're pushed for time!)

Of course, in investigating this, I also discovered that I needed new brake
shoes, and that one of the cylinders was leaking (I'm pleased I discovered
this when the car was on axle stands, and not when I really needed the
brakes!)  It's all fixed now, and the car is back on the road again.

Cheers,

Dean
-------------

--- Dean Dashwood <deandashwood_list@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm hoping someone out there can help me with a
> little handbrake problem I've got.

<snip>

> I went to
> apply the handbrake, only to find almost no
> resistance as I lifted the lever.  A quick test, and
> I discovered the brake didn't work at all.

<snip>