Re: Interchangable heads

To: mayer49@netscape.net
Subject: Re: Interchangable heads
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:39:01 -0700
mayer49@netscape.net wrote:

> Hello y'all,
>   Thanks for the fedback.  So if I were to put a 1500 head on a Mk3 1296
>engine, I would be ok?  Maybe I could mill the head to lose a little of the
>thickness?  Possible performance gains?
>   Thanks again,
>   Dave

Well, If you want to do that, I'd highly recommend that you have the 1500 head
significantly shaved  if you are interested in performance.  If you
don't, the resulting compression ratio will be reduced significantly!  Measure
the thickness of the 1300 head and and mill the 1500 head to no thicker
than the 1300.  THe gains at that point will be only in the valve size
difference.  There is one particular 150 head (I believe in the 74/75 time
frame) that has the largest valves that were produced.  That would be the one
to use if you can find it.  Any other shaving beyond the equivalent size
of the 1300 head will increase the compression and performance.

But don't go too far unless you want to mix your own fuel!!!

Joe