Re: Almost lifting time.

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Almost lifting time.
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 19:41:56 -0700
At 09:05 AM 4/9/02 -0400, Andre Rousseau wrote:
>I'm almost ready to remove the tub from the chassis.
>
>All I have left is to remove the pedals, steering column and fuel tank.
>Interesting problem I ran into the driver rear bumper can not be
>removed unless you remove the fuel tank.
>
>Can anyone on the list offer up any suggestions about remove the tub.
>I want to do this right the first time.

It's a fairly straight forward process.  I've done it several times now and
the key thing to do is go *slow* when lifting the tub.  You'll need to get
down and look under the tub as it lifts from the frame for all those bits
you forgot to disconnect!

I'm not sure why you are removing the pedals- they don't connect to
anything but the tub.

Let's see now....

All 12 magic body bolts (don't forget the seat belt anchors!)
Rear brake cable (easy to overlook)
Front brake lines from master cylinder.
Clutch slave hydraulic line.
Electrical harness.
Battery (Might as well reduce the weight by an easy 40 pounds!)
Electrical ground straps in engine bay.
Fuel lines under rear quarter wing
Exhaust hangers at rear of tub
Rear bumpers (on late models)
Water heater lines.
Seats (drops body tub weight another 50 pounds or so)
Fuel Tank

Basically anything you can remove to reduce the weight is a good
thing.  Think of each system a car has- electrical, brakes, fuel, chassis,
exhaust, etc.  Think how it's attached to the car and where.  That will
help you out greatly in avoiding overlooking small bits under the tub that
are normally unseen.  I've lifted a couple of tubs with chassis' hanging
under them by the rear brake cable when I forgot to disconnect it!