Hardtop Resto - expensive seals?

To: "Spitfire" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hardtop Resto - expensive seals?
From: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 22:11:47 +0100
I can't remember who it was who said that they'd restored their hardtop - but
they said that they should have just tried to find a secondhand one because it
was so expensive for all the seals. Mike possibly?

Which bits were so expensive? I can't find ones that are much more than about
10 quid each.

The reason I ask this is because I've talked my uncle in to doing up my
hardtop (come on, you didn't think I would be doing it?!? :) ) - mostly
everything is ok, except for the terrible surface rust, dents and discoloured
paint (there are patches of white! on whats ment to be pimento!) on the steel
of the top. I'm not sure what he is going to have to do with it - weather or
not he's going to rip out the headlining or perhaps the windows whilst he's
working on it - and of course the respray (which Im getting done
professionally through a mate of his). I imagine it would be best that the
hardtop was stripped of everything before the respray.

I don't want him to destroy anything of value - I don't mind replacing certain
things so it looks nice and new. Although I can't see in the Rimmers catalogue
where the material that goes around the back of the window on the inside
are...  I think Richard mentioned that he couldn't find a supplier of this a
while ago though...

Anything else we should know about before taking the thing to peices?

ttfn,

James

1977 Pimento Red Spit