RE: checking compression

To: "'Lwestgaph@cs.com'" <Lwestgaph@cs.com>,
Subject: RE: checking compression
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 11:22:02 +0100
You need to buy (or borrow) a compression gauge.  This (I believe, never
used one myself) screws into the spark plug hole while the engine is turned
over, and the gauge gives a reading of compression.  They cost around #18
($26) in the UK.

Good luck with your search for a car.  Remember, leaking oil is endemic to
most old British cars, so I wouldn't let a small leak put you off too badly.
There are any number of causes, but I don't think there is much you can do
to investigate it until it's your car.  You could insist the engine is
thoroughly cleaned, then go for a drive, and the source of the oil might
become apparent.

Richard & Daffy

Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the
sender
urgently and dispose of this email