Gauge lights

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Gauge lights
From: Robert J Finnis <r.finnis@eim.surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 11:12:27 +0000
>    One of my first projects when I got my '74 was to try to make all of the
lights work.

Same here, only one was working when I got mine.  It was illuminating the
non-functioning tachometer (the drive cable had snapped) - useful!

I think they are 12V 2.2W MES lamps if that helps.  I ended up getting twice
the number I needed because some blew straight away (bad manufacture).

>Even with all of that done, night time lumination of the instruments is
poor at best.

So it's not just me that thinks that.

>Second, the Rev counter isn't lit at night. Is that normal, or is
there a bulb I might want to look at.

There is also an earth lead to the tacho (or is it to the speedo?),  you may
want to check to see if it is still connected as that would cause dim lights
as well.  Others will know where it should go.

>Third, the reading light on the passenger's side doesn't work. The
bulb is good, and no fuse is AWOL... Any suggestions?

If this is the map light on the swinging arm, check the switch contacts at the
base of the lamp.

Hope this is useful

Robert